Walter Passarella / Metroland OSHAWA--Firefighters douse an early morning fire that damaged the control house of the CP Oshawa Railyard on Stevenson Road South. The yard is situated across from the General Motors Plant, north of Wentworth Street. Apr. 20,2008


Asbestos fears after early morning rail yard fire
Published: April 30, 2008
Source: durhamregion.com

No injuries as empty building burns

OSHAWA -- A fire in Oshawa early Tuesday morning initially prompted concerns about asbestos, but fire officials have now given the all clear.

The blaze broke out at around 5:30 a.m. in a small vacant building located in the Canadian Pacific (CP) rail yard on Stevenson Road South near Wentworth Street.

Three fire trucks and 14 personnel from Oshawa Fire Services responded and had the flames under control quickly.

The building had been condemned and was slated for demolition. Deputy Chief John Jeffs said asbestos was present in some areas, causing initial worry that it could spread into the air.

General Motors, which is located nearby, briefly shut down its ventilation system as a precaution and the Ministry of the Environment was contacted.

By mid-morning officials said the asbestos was in an area of the building untouched by the fire and that there is no cause for concern.

The cause of the fire is not known. Damage is estimated at about $40,000.